News Office of Engaged Learning Office of Engaged Learning - Entrepreneurship Student Academic Engagement & Success

Interview with 2024-25 Big iDeas Entrepreneurship Fellow, Neha Husein

Neha Husein graduated from Southern Methodist University in 2019 with degrees in Human Rights and Marketing. Driven by a strong commitment to social impact, she founded Just Drive, a startup focused on reducing distracted driving accidents. Today, Neha is the Senior Event Producer for Vegandale, an international festival that celebrates vegan food, music, and art. In addition to her professional achievements, Neha is passionate about mentoring and supporting collegiate entrepreneurs, helping them navigate the challenges of starting and growing their own ventures. 

Tell us a little bit about your professional journey since graduating from SMU.  

“Right after I graduated, I worked full time with my start up Just Drive. It was a steep learning experience going from college to learning how to navigate working as a full-time professional. Ultimately, the covid pandemic hit and I had to pivot my business which very much served small businesses. I was then approached by another startup, ZSTACH, and their mission very much aligned with my environmental goals and passions. This was very cool starting another app from scratch. I learned how much my skills developed from when I was running my own startup and how my skills can transfer into other jobs and other industries.” 

In what ways do you think your entrepreneurship experience can enhance the E-Launch workshops for students this year? Any skills you have that stand out?

“My entrepreneurship experience allows me to provide practical, real-world insights into the startup journey, from ideation to execution. My ability to relate with and mentor students on a personal level can create a supportive and inspiring environment for them.”

What makes you most excited about being the E-Fellow at this point in your career?

“Being an E-Fellow at this point in my career excites me because it combines my passion for entrepreneurship with my desire to give back to the community that shaped me. I am thrilled to be in a position where I can challenge and support young entrepreneurs, helping them turn their ideas into viable businesses. This role allows me to leverage my experience and network to create meaningful impact and foster a culture of innovation and creativity at SMU.”

Besides being an SMU and Big iDeas alum, what makes coming back “home” to SMU so special this time around?

“Coming back to SMU is special because it feels like a full-circle moment. SMU and the Big iDeas program played a significant role in my personal and professional development, providing me with the foundation and support to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams. Returning as the E-Fellow allows me to contribute to the same ecosystem that nurtured me and to help shape the future of entrepreneurship at SMU. It’s an opportunity to reconnect with mentors, peers, and the vibrant community that has always felt like home.”

Why should an SMU student build their entrepreneurship base for their business idea while in college? What are the benefits to starting in that season of life?

“Building an entrepreneurship base while in college provides several benefits. College students have access to a wealth of resources, including mentorship, funding opportunities, and a supportive community of like-minded peers. Starting a business in college allows students to experiment and take risks in a relatively low-stakes environment. They can leverage their academic knowledge, gain practical experience, and develop a strong network that can support their entrepreneurial endeavors. Additionally, the skills and experiences gained from starting a business in college can be invaluable, regardless of whether the venture succeeds or fails, as they prepare students for future professional challenges.”

Neha will also be a panelist at the next Big iDeas Roundtable Discussion on Tuesday, October 1st, discussing “How to Build Your Brand.” To learn more information and register, visit SMU 360