During the month of December, LANDesk clients for all SMU computers were updated to allow for more consistent and automated reboots with a focus on enhancing security. As people returned to work in January, they have found many updates awaiting them requiring sometimes multiple reboots. This is to be expected. Continue reading Computer reboot required following LANDesk client update
Starting December 14, 2017, the IT Help Desk will move to Winter hours. Our weekday hours will be 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and the IT Help Desk will be closed on weekends until the weekend of January 20, 2018. Continue reading IT Help Desk Winter Hours 2017–2018
UPDATE: This service is now available.
Have a course this semester that requires Microsoft Excel or SAS? Students are eligible to download SAS, SAS JMP, and Mathematica free of charge under our campus agreement. Starting in Spring 2018, the IT Help Desk will provide a more convenient way for students to request help installing essential software on their personal computers. Continue reading Coming Soon: Boot Camp & SAS Installation by Appointment
Having trouble getting connected to the SMU campus network?
Here are some quick things to know:
- High-speed wired connections are available in all residence halls and study rooms, but your devices must be configured to obtain an IP address automatically.
- If you are connecting devices to the wired network or wirelessly via SMU_Guest, these must be registered annually in order to obtain an internet connection.
- The network registration portal allows you to register your devices for use in the residence halls, including gaming devices, Smart TVs, Apple TVs etc.
- Although many printers have wireless print capability, unfortunately, they will not work for wireless printing on campus. This would allow anyone and everyone to print to your printer! Please connect to printers via USB cable.
- PaperCut Pay-for-Print Systems are available at various locations on campus. Find out more here: smu.edu/printing
- PerunaNet is the secured wireless network on campus and is available in all of the residence halls, fraternity houses and sorority houses. Find out more about networking on campus here: smu.edu/OIT/Services/Wireless
- Some devices do not support the security configuration on PerunaNet, so please use the SMU_Guest network to connect these devices (ie. gaming devices and Apple TV).
Have more questions? Visit smu.edu/OIT/Help
We are currently investigating reports of Authentication Issues with PerunaNet, which initially appear to be impacting Windows clients on campus. We will send an update to your SMU email address as soon as the issue has been resolved.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
On May 23, the Help Desk will be relocating from the Hughes-Trigg Student Center back to Fondren Library West. We are looking forward to providing top-notch support in a beautifully renovated space, and in a convenient, central location on campus.
Summer Hours beginning June 1st:
|Monday through Thursday||8AM – 9PM|
|Friday||8AM – 6PM|
|Saturday and Sunday||12PM – 6PM|
|Submit a Ticket Online:||help.smu.edu|
Classroom Emergency Support
Please phone 214-768-8888 to request assistance.
Page updated 05/16/2016 to fixed summer hours.
Page updated 05/17/2016 to add exact move date.
We have received several reports of another round of phishing emails today. These appeared to come from an SMU email address and indicated that you should “reset your password immediately to prevent your account from being disabled.” The links in the email directed to an external login page that captured SMU credentials once entered.
Please be extra cautious and guard your account information, and remember that we will never ask you to verify your account information, or provide your password or any personal information via email.
If you did fall victim to the phishing email, please change your password immediately and contact the IT Help Desk by calling (214)768-4357, or email email@example.com