Ambassadors Life Around Dallas

A Foodies Guide To The 8 Best Restaurants Near SMU

Texans love to eat. Among the hundreds of restaurants in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, some of them are located within walking distance of SMU’s beautiful campus. Over my last three years as a student here, I’ve tried everything from pierogis to biscuit french toast, and I can’t wait to tell you a little about my favorite spots. Buckle up & let’s take a ride to flavor town.

While breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it’s also my favorite. Located just across the street from the new dorms, Shug’s is a brand-new New York inspired bagel shop that was recently opened by a SMU grad. Whether you are looking for a study break or a snack on the way back from your workout on the Katy Trail, this is a must try. The bagel to the right is the classic Shug, made with bacon, egg, cheese and a hash brown on your bagel of choice.

Biscuit Bar does things with breakfast food I didn’t know was possible. Nothing celebrates the completion of your 8am exam like a quick breakfast here—my recommendation is the French toast biscuit with a side of tater tots.

First on our afternoon agenda is Dive Coastal Cuisine. Dive was created for the health-conscious foodie. Created with all organic products, you can’t go wrong with their salads, sandwiches, and hand crafted beverages. The most popular order is the ahi tuna wrap paired with their homemade plantain chips.

Take a trip across the world with just a few steps across the street. Kuby’s Sausage House has been a SMU favorite since 1961, offering all your favorite German delicacies. Not to mention, attached to their restaurant is their extensive market that houses all of your European favorites.

Now, lets talk dinner. My personal favorite is Olivellas Neo Pizza Napolentana—the white pizza will change your life. Located just across the street from Umphery Lee, Oilvella’s is the perfect hole-in-the-wall pizza place.

Coming in at a close second is Dallas Grilled Cheese Company, which you can find just across the 75 in Mockingbird Station. As seen in the photo to your left, they are known for the Grilled Mac ’N Cheese sandwich. To make the meal even better, I order a side of their DGC Fries and malted milk chocolate shake.

Last, but certainly not least, is dessert. A personal favorite is Pokey-O’s, which you can find next to the SMU bookstore. Pick from your choice of two cookies and ice cream to make a delectable cookie sandwich. This is the perfect pit stop on Dallas’s 100-degree days.

I also recommend Baldo’s Ice Cream & Coffee. Why not reward yourself after a hard study break with a cone for your walk back to the dorms? Their slogan is “Anything but Vanilla,” because they believe that each time you have ice cream it should be an experience. Some of their unique flavors include Coffee Oreo, Frosted Animal Cookie and White Chocolate Pretzel. My personal favorite is the Coffee Oreo served in their freshly made waffle cones.

SMU can’t wait to welcome you all back in the fall, we have missed you all so much. I know I personally can’t wait to celebrate with a stop at all of these restaurants once we are back to campus.

Zac Scornavacco