Uncategorized

Holidays on the Hilltop

For 43 years, Student Foundation has brought the magic of the holiday season to our campus through Celebration of Lights. This tradition takes place on the heart and soul of our campus – Dallas Hall Lawn. This year, I had the honor of serving as the Campus Events Chair for Student Foundation. My committee and I were responsible for planning the traditional ceremony as well as the holiday festivities for Celebration of Lights this year. The event began with student performers, President Turner reading the Christmas story from the Bible, and the most memorable moment of all the lights on Dallas Hall Lawn being turned on during the performance of Silent Night. Following the ceremony, there were reindeer, caricature artists, horse carriage rides, a stocking stuffing station, carolers, as well as a tent for our philanthropy, Dallas CASA, where people could write cards to the children the organization supports. All of the aspects of Celebration of Lights complied with the event guidelines posted by Student Affairs. Despite these restrictions, the night was absolutely spectacular. Everyone was able to gather in a safe manner to celebrate the successful semester we had on our campus. The tradition is an incredibly special way to say goodbye to SMU before we leave for winter break, and truly encompasses the talent and joy of our student body. In addition to Celebration of Lights, students jumped into the holiday spirit by participating in events in their residential commons and enjoying the lights on the lawn as well as around in the Dallas community. Holidays on the Hilltop are magical and got me right in the spirit to head home and spend the break with my family and friends. I can’t wait to head back to campus in 2021!

May the New Year bring you joy and rest!

Eliana Abraham

Class of 2022

Biological Sciences B.S. | Health & Society B.S.