Ambassadors Campus Life Travel

Being an International Student at SMU

Hola! My name is Sofia Marin (’22), and I am an international student from Maracaibo, Venezuela double majoring in Business and Advertising with a minor in French! Two years ago, I made the decision to come to SMU to pursue my bachelor’s degree, and since then, I have felt nothing but gratitude and happiness for having made this choice.

In 2018 I left Venezuela driven by two main motifs; First, the critical economic and political situation of the country, and second, the unique opportunity my parents gave me of acquiring an exceptional education in the United States. Since I was little, I have always come to the US for summer camps, family vacations, and more, but choosing the place where I would spend the next four years of my life growing as a professional was completely different and no minor decision. For me, aside from the academic excellence, this needed to be a place where I could immerse myself into an entirely new culture, and develop unique perspectives on different topics, but at the same time, where I could feel the warmth of home and a sense of belonging. And that is exactly what I’ve found here at SMU.

I’ve met amazing people with similar backgrounds to mine, from Latin American countries like Mexico, Honduras and El Salvador that make me feel at home and remind me the value of our roots, but also people from all the way to Asia, Europe and more, that help me widen my outlook on the world and teach me about different cultures. Professors have been a vital part of the experience too, with their demonstrated unconditional support and strong desire to see students succeed, I have found role models and mentors and created relationships that I am sure will last for a lifetime. The campus itself has contributed to my journey as well, with places such as Fondy, HT, and Dallas Hall Lawn turning into special spots where I create memories with friends, learn new things, or simply appreciate life and how blessed I am for being there. From Celebration of Lights, to Midnight Market, the school hosts events and carries traditions that separate this place from others and connects students, faculty, and staff. Undoubtedly, it is not easy to leave your home country and start a “new life”, but the support, resources and people SMU has given me have made this journey enjoyable, unique and even magical. There is not a moment I don’t thank my parents for giving me this unique opportunity, and the school for being what it is to me today: my home away from home.

Pony Up!

Sofia Marin

Class of 2022