Microsoft Teams Migration Project

Streamlining Communication: SMU’s Journey to Microsoft Teams

The mono version of the Jabra Evolve2 40.In the fall, we announced that this year, SMU employees will receive Microsoft Teams headsets to replace their phones unless specifically requested. This transition is essential as Microsoft Teams will replace Skype for Business.

Why is it critical that we transition from Skype to Microsoft Teams?

Microsoft has ended mainstream support for our version of Skype for Business (SfB), which is now in extended support. While it is necessary for us to move to Teams, this project also aligns with our strategic goal to improve and modernize aging campus infrastructure.

What should I know or do for the Teams Migration?

In October 2023, we distributed a survey to campus asking about the use of telecommunication devices and offered headsets for those who prefer to trade in their physical telephone now. A follow-up survey will be sent at the end of February to provide another opportunity for faculty and staff to specify their preferred device for Teams. If a response is not received, employees will receive a Microsoft Teams-certified headset.

How many individuals have already switched to headsets, and what are their thoughts?

Over 170 employees have already opted to swap their phones for headsets. We asked for feedback from two early adopters. Here’s what they said.

The headset is easy to use and makes moving around a lot easier! I’m in another office due to renovations—this is a great option. Thanks for offering.”-Cox School of Business faculty member.

One of our staff members in the Office of Facilities Planning & Management Department commented, “I love it! The quality and the noise cancellation are awesome. I share an office, which helps me drown out the background noise. I will be excited once we are all on TEAMS instead of Skype.”

What steps should I take if I’m ready to trade my phone in for a headset?

Be on the lookout for our survey that will be sent at the end of February. If you know you want to be an early adopter already and trade your phone for a Microsoft Teams headset, you can contact the IT Help Desk at help@smu.edu to arrange for the delivery of a new Teams headset or drop off your phone at the IT Help Desk to pick up your headset by Friday, March 29, 2024.

Published by

Laurene Klassen

Laurene is the Director of SMU’s IT Training & Communications Team. She enjoys reading, writing, and outdoor activities with her family in her spare time.