Life Around Dallas

The Dallas Arboretum

Fall in Dallas is one of my favorite times. I love when the heat becomes mild, because we all know that Thanksgiving and Christmas are around the corner. There are so many fun things to do in Dallas during this wonderful season, like attend the State Fair of Texas, Boulevard and enjoy the beautiful weather on the Katy Trail and at White Rock Lake. Yesterday, I went to the Dallas Arboretum, one of my favorite fall spots.

The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens is a magical place. They routinely change the exhibits for each season. Currently, there is a pumpkin garden. The pumpkins are arranged by pumpkin type, and they are manipulated to create beautiful structures and pieces of art. This year’s theme is the Wizard of Oz. The garden was constructed to create pumpkin structures along the Yellow Brick Road and capture the magic of the movie. At the Arboretum, I felt like I was in Oz as opposed to Dallas! In addition to enjoying the pumpkin garden, the Dallas Arboretum has numerous dining options. I ate at the café that overlooked White Rock Lake. It was surreal. The restaurant is located in a building that is over 100 years old, with a Floridian vibe to it, which adds to the almost mystical feel of the Dallas Arboretum. Despite all the homework and stress I dealt with during midterms, going to the Arboretum allowed me to escape and take some time for myself as I enjoyed an afternoon with friends.

It is important to take advantage of the opportunities Dallas gives SMU students. No matter how much stress people feel, there are many ways to alleviate it. Visiting the arboretum allowed me to focus on the beauty of this incredible city we are lucky enough to live in.

Larissa Spies

By Zoe Patterson

AA-EnrollServ(Recruitment)