Academics Ambassadors Campus Life

Zoom University

Hey everyone! My name is Samantha Pozo, and I am a rising junior studying Biology on the pre-health track with minors in Neuroscience and Psychology. I was born and raised in Dallas, and although I only live fifteen minutes away from SMU, I do live on campus.

With the recent COVID-19 pandemic, everything in our lives has seemingly changed. I have returned home, and my new morning routine consists of waking up, making my bed, changing out of my pajamas (occasionally keeping them on all day) and hopping online to join my class zoom calls. The way we go grocery shopping, the way we interact with others, and even the way we go to school have all changed; however, one thing has remained constant through this difficult and uncertain time and that is the continuous dedication and support of SMU professors. COVID-19 has affected many people in different ways, and the switch to online classes was challenging for many, including myself.

In all of my classes, my professors never failed to take the first ten minutes of class to check in with us and personally ask us how we were feeling, what we were up to, and if there was anything they could do to help us. Some professors even started the class by sharing funny memes to lighten the spirit. Both teachers and students have had to get creative in order to adapt to a new teaching and learning environment. Instead of a final exam, my Organic Chemistry class had a truly interesting project in which we applied the mechanisms and reactions that we had learned all year long to synthesizing a small molecule drug that could potentially be used to treat COVID-19. This was an amazing opportunity to research more about the pandemic and to see our knowledge come to life in a real-world application –SMU does indeed shape world changers!

Throughout this entire shift to online learning, all of the professors were very understanding and were willing to work with each student based on individual circumstances. All of their hard work and dedication is greatly appreciated and does not go unnoticed. Whether it is in the classroom or on a zoom call, SMU professors are always there to help their students succeed despite all obstacles, including COVID-19.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I cannot wait to see you all on the Hilltop soon.

Pony Up!

Samantha Pozo

SMU Class of 2022