Life Around Dallas Texas

Your Dallas Guide

Dallas has a little bit of everything, whether you want to see an up-and-coming band or eat dinner on a downtown rooftop. Growing up in Dallas, I have been lucky to experience this city for 21 years, and it has been so much fun seeing the city through fresh eyes with my friends from out of state. With both world-class museums and delicious food all residing in the same city limits, it can be hard to pick the best of the best, but here is a Dallas guide from a Dallas native.

Deep Ellum 

One of the coolest areas in Dallas, Deep Ellum, is home to amazing music, eccentric food, and unique shops. I personally love Deep Ellum because I take improv classes at Dallas Comedy House every week and have met so many amazing people there. And I had one of the most surreal experiences when I ran into Halsey outside her show at Club Dada and got to snap a picture with her.

Here are my top hits in Deep Ellum.

(Do not forget to snap a picture in front of the many murals)

Downtown Dallas

Many people forget that Dallas has an actual downtown scene, where students come to both to eat, shop, and work. I have spent the last two semesters interning in Downtown Dallas at the D Magazine office, and working in Downtown has been one of my favorite college experiences. Run Downtown to see a Stars or Mavs game at the American Airlines Center, or plan a night out to see a Broadway show at the AT&T Performing Arts Center; Downtown has a ton to do!

Uptown & Oak Lawn

On the Hilltop, we are lucky to have so much around our campus directly, whether it be a short walk or a 5-minute drive. Mockingbird Station is right across the highway, and Uptown is just a short drive, giving us lots of options for a quick dinner off-campus, or spending time with friends. That is one of the best things about SMU; it’s a small town in a big city.

I have loved growing up in Dallas and spending my college years here. I hope this list provides some insight into what the city has to offer and why living on the Hilltop is worth it.

Pony Up,

Kathryn Chavez

Ig: @Kathrynchavez