Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Faculty News Political Science

Local Veterans Service Group Praises Former Governor Rick Perry’s Newest Role

CBS News

Originally Posted: August 30, 2016

DALLAS (CBS11) – After serving as Texas’ longest-serving Governor and running for President twice, Rick Perry is now stepping out in a new direction: reality TV.

Starting next month, he’ll be a contestant on Dancing With The Stars.

It’s another example of politics and entertainment crossing paths – this time on the dance floor.

As the former Governor knows, the Texas two-step is both a dancemove, and the old method for the Democratic primary in the Lone Star State.

SMU political science professor Cal Jillson joked, “He (Perry) never did the Texas 2-step. Not politically. He may have done the dance move. Anita (Perry) would know better than I.”

Perry announced his new role in a tweet saying, “I’m dedicated to helping veterans, however possible, and I’m going to use Dancing with the Stars as a stage to do that.”

In a statement Perry said, “I’m excited to have some fun, dance, and probably get into the best shape I’ve been since I served in the Air Force.”

Donna Cranston of Coppell is praising Perry for highlighting veterans.

“The government is not taking care of them adequately and if he’s going to do it, then I welcome it,” said Cranston.

Cranston founded the Defenders of Freedom, an organization that has helped post 9-11 injured veterans and those transitioning back home for 12 years.

She says veterans are not victims and that all she wants is that they receive what they deserve and have earned.

In her small office, there are dozens of photos of the veterans she and her organization have helped.

Cranston knows the story behind every picture.

“We’ve kept many alive. I’ve got a handful of guys I can tell you right now that are alive today because of the help we gave them,” said Cranston.  “We’ve kept them in their homes. We’ve not let them become homeless.”

She says one problem is that it takes a long time for veterans to receive their benefits once they leave the military. “They’re waiting months for their benefits. Months. Seven, eight, nine months for some of these guys and gals.”

As for Perry, Jillson says he is embracing his new role.

“Putting veterans front and center is a bonus for him. He’ll also be in the public view and if he decides to do something later, that will help him,” said Jillson.

Perry has said if Donald Trump wins, he’s willing to serve in his administration — perhaps as Secretary of VA. READ MORE