Featured Stories

GA Spotlight: Victoria Monteros

Ever wondered what it’s really like to juggle the demands of being a graduate student while diving headfirst into the world of professional work? We’ve asked some of our incredible graduate assistants (GAs) in the Division of Student Affairs to share the inside scoop, from the challenges faced to the triumphs celebrated.

Victoria Monteros ’24 is the graduate assistant for Student Center and Activities and is pursuing a Masters in Higher Education at the Simmons School of Education and Human Development. Read her insights below!

What is your favorite thing about your academic discipline or program?

I love that I have been afforded the opportunity to learn about what makes a quality student affairs professional by directly working with students and applying what I learn in class to better serve them. 

What are your potential career plans after graduating?

I plan to continue to work in student affairs and hope to land a position similar to what I do now, which is advising students in Program Council and helping them plan events on campus. 

What skills, experiences, or relationships have you gained from working in the Division of Student Affairs?

I have gained so much knowledge about what working with college students is like. I have also learned all about event planning at a university, as well as experience with other administrative tasks and projects.

What is your favorite Dallas (or Texas) experience so far?

Definitely going to The Boulevard! In fact, I have gone numerous times with my family and this fall, we plan on getting our own tent! 

If you were in a yearbook for the Division of Student Affairs what would your “Senior Quote” be?

“If you believe in yourself, with a tiny pinch of magic, all your dreams can come true!” -Spongebob Squarepants

Do you have any advice for future GAs?

Always be positive! This is a tremendous opportunity to learn about your future field! Take as many opportunities as you can, ask questions when you don’t know the answer, and get to know as many staff members as possible. You’re going to love it here!