Featured Stories

GA Spotlight: Navi Kaur

Ever wondered what it’s really like to juggle the demands of being a graduate student while diving headfirst into the world of professional work? We’ve asked some of our incredible graduate assistants (GAs) in the Division of Student Affairs to share the inside scoop, from the challenges faced to the triumphs celebrated.

Navi Kaur ’24 works as a graduate assistant in the Hegi Family Career Development Center and is pursuing a Masters in Counseling at the Simmons School of Education and Human Development. Read her insights below!

What is your favorite thing about your academic discipline/program?

I love building connections with people who share similar passions and getting to know all the wonderful professors in my program!

What are your career plans after graduating?

I plan to work in the mental health profession helping individuals with a wide variety of issues such as relational challenges, anxiety, depression, career exploration, decision making, and self worth. 

What skills, experiences or relationships have you gained from serving as a GA in the SMU Division of Student Affairs?

I have gained direct one on one experience career counseling students where I have learned how to ask students what would be most meaningful to them in that moment and deliver information that is curated to their needs. From the other counselors I work with, I have learned different ways to approach mock interviews, resumes, and networking, which has helped me develop personally and professionally. 

What has been your favorite Dallas (or Texas) experience so far?

Going to Velvet Taco with classmates after the last day of class. 

If you were in a yearbook for the Division of Student Affairs what would your “Senior Quote” be?

Breathe and take it one day at a time!

Do you have any advice for future GAs?

Know that you have so much support from SMU faculty when you are a GA and reach out if you need anything!