Featured Stories

GA Spotlight: Jordan Mitchell ’25

Ever wondered what it’s really like to juggle the demands of being a graduate student while diving headfirst into the world of professional work? We’ve asked some of our incredible graduate assistants (GAs) in the Division of Student Affairs to share the inside scoop, from the challenges faced to the triumphs celebrated.

Jordan Mitchell ’25 works in Student Center and Activities as the graduate assistant for Leadership Programs and is pursuing a Masters in Higher Education at the Simmons School of Education and Human Development. Read her insights below!

What is your favorite thing about your academic discipline?

School has always been my sanctuary, so it is really cool analyzing how school is or is not a sanctuary for other people, and how we working in higher education can make things better! Ultimately, I want to help students feel safe and secure in higher education like I always have, and I wholeheartedly believe that this program will help me do that.

What are your career plans after graduating?

Coming from a sports journalism background, I would love to either work in athletics as an academic counselor/learning specialists or in a student-athlete success-esque position. Eventually, I want to earn my doctorate and contribute to research regarding how academic counseling strategies can positively/negatively impact student-athlete academic success.

What skills, experiences and relationships have you gained from working in the Division of Student Affairs?:

By serving as the Leadership Programs Graduate Assistant for the past semester, I have grown immensely as an event planner. I now can confidently plan an event that requires indoor/outdoor reservations, catering/food, activities and equipment such as tents. I have also become more comfortable with adapting when things go awry. This will be a marketable skill to put on my resume, as I have intentions to apply to jobs that require programming.

What has been your favorite Dallas (or Texas) experience so far?

Watching Texas beat Oklahoma State in the Big 12 Championship. Hook ‘Em!!!

If you were in a yearbook for the Division of Student Affairs what would your “Senior Quote” be?

BRR, it’s cold in here! 

Do you have any advice for future GAs?

SMU is special in that it is really easy to connect with the people that can help you make things happen. So if you have a big idea, go for it, because there are so many people that want to help you succeed!