Getting to Know the Hamon Arts Library New Fine Arts Librarian

portrait of Kate AllemanKate Alleman has joined the staff at the Hamon Arts Library as our Fine Arts Librarian.  As part of the Teaching and Learning Team, Kate will handle library instruction for Art History, Studio Art, Dance, and Fashion Media as well as Common Curriculum Writing and Reasoning (WRTR) courses.

Kate’s most recent position has been at the Dallas Museum of Art, the Mayer Library, where she has honed her arts-related reference and collection management skills. Kate’s museum background will greatly benefit Hamon Library’s Hawn Gallery, and she has expressed great interest in engaging with the SMU arts community through exhibits and related programming.

This is not the first time Kate has been in SMU Libraries, having served in 2012 as a part-time reference staff in the Fondren Library. We asked Kate about her background and experiences in art and librarianship and how she anticipates her new role here in SMU Libraries.

How did you come to librarianship from your studies as a history and art minor?

It took me a moment to get there. I started off in Interior Design and had a brief stint as a Psychology major before discovering a love of art history.

I knew I wanted to find a career within art research and had my sights set on working in a museum. I thought about getting a MA in Museum Studies to work as a curator or museum educator, but those avenues didn’t quite feel right. I realized my curious nature couldn’t commit one research focus. I wanted to learn about everything! My mom had recommended becoming a librarian when I was a freshman but it wasn’t until I utilized university research and special collection libraries during undergrad that the idea of art librarianship finally clicked.

What motivates or excites you in your new duties here in SMU Libraries?

I’m motivated by supporting the work of SMU students, faculty, and staff. My main goal as a Fine Arts Librarian has been to connect researchers and provide guidance with the resources they need to ensure they can do their best work.

I’m also inspired by the work being done by my fellow SMU Librarians. For example, listening to colleagues talk about infusing equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility within their library work, as well as the effects and uses for generative AI within a research context has been totally refreshing.

What are your areas of focus/interest in art or art history?

I do enjoy hearing about everything art related and tend to fall into many rabbit holes after hearing what others are researching. My main personal interest lies in the decorative arts, especially modern/contemporary craft. Chairs, brooms, wallcoverings, brooches, ramekins, baskets, lighting, neckpieces, mugs – I love it all!

How do you feel about returning to work at SMU?

I feel energized about returning after more than a decade! It’s been a treat to see some familiar faces and spaces, although quite a lot has changed. Wandering outside academic libraries allowed me to gain valuable experience which has sharpened my skills within reference work, program planning, and understanding of specialized art resources. However, I’m very glad that life has led me back to the SMU Libraries.

If you are in the Hamon Arts Library, please introduce yourself to Kate. And be sure to check out her Research Guides for curated resources and contact information for your questions on fine arts subjects.