The Offices of the Provost and the Vice President for Student Affairs are now seeking faculty candidates to serve as the Faculty in Residence (FiR) in McElvaney Commons. The successful candidate will begin a three-year appointment in the fall 2022 semester.
- Full-time Instructional Faculty Status or equivalent as determined by the Provost. For staff, a 2-2 teaching load (12 credit hours total) as part of normal duties (no extra compensation) is the minimal teaching load
- Approval from Department Chair
- Approval from Dean or Equivalent
- Prior experience engaging students outside of the classroom
- Demonstrated interest in the undergraduate residential educational experience
- Knowledgeable of general academic requirements, procedures, and campus resources
In the fall of 2014, SMU transformed the residential experience into a Residential Commons model, which places greater emphasis on students engaging with faculty inside and outside of the classroom. The FiR role is an integral part of this model.
The FiR program increases interaction between students and faculty members beyond the classroom and emphasizes a culture of mentorship, intellectual discourse, and community which is cultivated in all aspects of the collegiate experience. The FiR role is a cornerstone of the residential life experience that will create opportunities for students to informally interact with faculty members living amongst them.
The initial application for FiR consists of a thoughtful letter of interest, approval from your dean and chair in a signed statement of support, acknowledgment of residential policies, and a curriculum vitae or resume. Additional information about the FiR position is available at the Residential Commons recruitment and selection website.
Please submit your completed application via the web form on the recruitment and selection website. Questions about the application process should be directed to Dr. Dustin Grabsch at 214-768-4887 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is March 27, 2022 at 11:59pm.
We welcome your application!
Dr. Elizabeth Loboa
Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Dr. K.C. Mmeje
Vice President of Student Affairs