Robert Mirr (U): #BlackAtSMU

Winner: Meadows (Undergraduate)

https://youtu.be/RCGdcBmF7es

This documentary is important because it will serve as an exploration into the issue of systemic racism and white supremacy that is deeply ingrained in our SMU community which so necessarily needs to be talked about. Our documentary will also serve as a mode of education and a dialogue starter to promote better understanding of these issues and create meaningful change in the actions of those on campus. The community being served by this project is vast, but one highlighted community is that of the black students, faculty, and alumni of SMU. Our goal with this project is to create a pedagogical tool to be used to spark conversation around all areas of SMU, from the residential commons to PRW I classes, to administration meetings. We aim to create dialogue around how people of color are treated in all areas at SMU and spark change to create a more inclusive, diverse, and accountable community. I personally hope to create a change and a dialogue within the SMU community. These issues have gone both unnoticed by the administration and student body for too long. By sparking this dialogue I hope to ensure a change so students can no longer feel this white supremacy. I hope to see a change that benefits the greater SMU community for good and forever.

Robert Mirr
Major: Film production; Minor: Graphic Design and Advertising
Faculty mentor: Amber Bemak

2 thoughts on “Robert Mirr (U): #BlackAtSMU

1. Nice work and summary of what you’re doing! It’s exciting to see so many SMU students applying their own unique skillset to elaborating on #BlackAtSMU. I look forward to seeing your project when it’s released!

2. Great job, Robert! I appreciated how you talked about the background, collaborative process, and the visual look of the film.