Megan Sham (U): Immigrant Identity Through Food Culture

Winner: Dedman II (Undergraduate)

https://youtu.be/-NygcjjXiK0

The main goal of this research study is to look at integration of Chinese-American immigrant families through the specific lens of their domestic culinary practices (cooking at home) as a lens of understand the food practices of immigrants in the United States. The participants in this study will include SMU students and their families, as well as other members of the Chinese-American immigrant community in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and Houston.The study aims to understand how immigrant communities in the United States adapt to and resist mainstream American culture, starting with food and cooking in the home. Interviews will be conducted to gather qualitative information concerning attitudes towards cooking certain cuisines and the effects on the family unit. The research will be funded partially by the John G. Tower Center's Henry S. Miller Undergraduate Research Fellowship, as well as the Fry Undergraduate Research Award from the SMU Anthropology Department.

Megan Sham
Majors: 
Anthropology
Faculty Mentor: Nicolas Sternsdorff Cisterna

2 thoughts on “Megan Sham (U): Immigrant Identity Through Food Culture

1. Megan, interesting talk! As an Asian-American myself, I found the topic relevant. I don’t think I ever thought about food as being a part of preserving my cultural identity (I tend to eat what tastes good to me, regardless of ethnicity). Your presentation made me think more about your topic, especially in relation to my parents’ generation, my generation, and my kids’ generation. Thank you!

1. Hi Dr. Son! Thank you so much for the comment. I’m sorry I didn’t reply to this sooner! I’m so happy to hear that my project struck a chord with you, and I hope that the topic can get you and your family thinking and talking about it!