Profiles

SOPHIE ARKUSINSKI ‘20

SOPHIE ARKUSINSKI ’20

Educational Background: Southern Methodist University: BA in Human Rights, BS in Mathematics (2020)

Columbia University, Columbia School of Law: Juris Doctorate (2025)

SMU Accomplishments: Sophie traveled globally with the SMU Human Rights Program on the Poland Holocaust Education Trip. She also volunteered with the service-organization SMU Alternative Breaks, was a site leader for SMU’s annual MLK Day of service, and a member of Phi Beta Kappa (PBK). Sophie graduated Summa Cum Laude with honors in the liberal arts.

Postbaccalaureate Career: Following her service with the Education Equity Program of AmeriCorps Vista, Sophie is currently pursuing her law degree at Columbia University, as she works to support and strengthen efforts to defend civil liberties within the context of technological innovation. She remains particularly interested in privacy issues, such as curbing the illegal and unnecessary surveillance of lawful and peaceful protesters by police and government forces. Sophie shares: “I can’t stress enough how much SMU’s Human Rights Program gave me the tools and direction with which to focus and follow my passion for advocacy. I wouldn’t be where I am today without y’all.”

Learn more about Sophie’s post-graduation journey through the following link:

Updated January 2022