Career Professional Education Uncategorized

Toya Walker: Women in Leadership Spotlight

Validation, distinction and the power of community: SMU Women in Leadership certificate student Toya Walker shares her experience in the program and what it has meant for her career.

Establishing a safe space that supports vulnerability, trust, accountability, and reliability has become crucial for leaders in building and guiding successful teams, especially in the post-pandemic business landscape. When teams feel supported, they thrive in an environment that inspires and empowers them to deliver exceptional service to both the company and its partners.

This is a concept Toya Walker has applied in her career since completing the Women in Leadership: Influence and Impact certificate program offered through SMU Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE).

“In the Women in Leadership program, I was looking to network with other professionals, enhance my leadership skills, and apply the knowledge gained from the program in my current role and in the classroom as an instructor,” says Walker.

“I was able to put this into practice along with the DISC theory (dominance, influence, steadiness, and conscientiousness) and lean in and be intentional in applying these principles with my team members. It has allowed the team to grow and execute deliverables in a cohesive, efficient, productive, and trustworthy manner.”

Growth in Leadership

Walker works as a senior compliance analyst at a global technology company and is a part-time instructor in SMU’s Paralegal Studies certificate program. She holds a bachelor’s degree in political science from Southern University, a paralegal certificate approved by the American Bar Association, SMU’s Ethics and Compliance certificate, and SMU’s Women in Leadership certificate.

Walker has served in several leadership roles during her career, including in the United States Global Leadership Coalition, as a Texas Advisory Council Member, a District 2 Director of the State Bar of Texas Paralegal Division, the President of the J.L. Turner Legal Association – Paralegal Section, and as a member of the National Association of Legal Assistants and Paralegals Continuing Education Council.

The Power of Knowledge and Validation

Part of Walker’s willingness to further her education was to gain the skills and knowledge needed to take her leadership career to the next level, but also to obtain something that helps her stand out from the rest.

Walker says, “The Women in Leadership credential impacts my current role along with future leadership aspirations by providing a sense of validation for others to see that I am an intentional seeker of knowledge and professional development, as well as a highly esteemed thought leader in the legal and compliance profession, and in the community.”

Walker’s gift and passion for leading others is something she brings to the classroom by teaching students how to be indispensable leaders in the workforce. Her background as a seasoned paralegal in the areas of government, law firms (plaintiff and defense), in-house legal departments at public and private corporations, and in academia helps add credence to her teaching and the addition of her leadership credential is something she believes enhances her potential even more.

“I am an avid learner and an advocate of professional development through continuing education. I believe that knowledge is power.”

Her Women in Leadership Experience

SMU’s six-week Women in Leadership program combines self-paced content with live, virtual class sessions to provide an authentic learning experience that encourages participation and practical application.

“I had a wonderful experience in the SMU Women in Leadership program. I found that the learning materials, esteemed instructors, and my classmates were a great blend of knowledge, innovation, and experience,” Walker says.

“We were able to exchange a wealth of information and gain different perspectives in various business industries. The weekly assignments, live case studies, and Impact Partner meetings proved to be valuable. It expanded our knowledge of business principles and taught us how to create an executive presence and global impact.”

Walker hopes her story and beliefs foster growth and actions in other leaders to take the next step toward furthering their leadership potential.

“My motto is to believe, educate, motivate, inspire, empower, and succeed,” she says. “I find that these are intrinsic values to attain a higher version of oneself, career, and life.”

Asked what inspired her to enroll in the Women in Leadership training program and what advice she would give to those considering registering for it, Walker adds: “My colleagues and students in the SMU CAPE program as well as my mentees inspired me to enroll and complete the Women in Leadership program. It feels great to lead and inspire others. My advice to those who are considering this program or who may be on the fence about registering is to always bet on you.”

“The biggest investment you can ever make in life is in your personal and professional goals. Your future self will thank you later.”