Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Physics Undergraduate News

‘The Golf Scientist’

Associated Press

Originally Posted: January 21, 2016

‘The Golf Scientist’ Tames Abu Dhabi Field With Unique Style

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Bryson DeChambeau was still in high school when he told his father: “I think I can change the game of golf.”

On Thursday, he was comparing his trailblazing qualities to those of Albert Einstein and George Washington, and calling himself “The Golf Scientist.”

One thing’s for sure about the 22-year-old DeChambeau, he isn’t lacking in confidence.

And he’s got the game to back it up.

DeChambeau shot an 8-under 64 at the Abu Dhabi Championship to take a one-stroke lead in the first round in what might be the strongest field in a European Tour event this year. Not bad for an amateur making only his seventh start in a professional tournament, and his first on the regular European Tour — through a sponsor’s invitation.

Any nerves? Don’t be silly.

“Why be nervous?” said DeChambeau, whose deep tan is explained by his California roots. “There’s no expectations. I’m not worried about anything. If I hit a bad shot I’ve got an opportunity to show my grace and my character. In that situation, there’s no downside to it.”

DeChambeau may just be the most unique, colorful golfer around.

He’s a physics student at Southern Methodist University who has devised his own way of playing golf. It includes modifying all of his irons so they are the same length, lie angle and bounce — the only difference between them is the loft — and means he can keep the same posture and set-up; hitting two different drives that he has named The Fairway Finder and the Crank Ball; using water and Epsom salts to establish which of his golf balls are slightly flawed so they can be discarded; and adopting a putting routine in which he crouches and extends his putter as if fly-fishing. READ MORE