Learning to serve his community

SMU student gets rare opportunity to learn leadership from WHO?

A member of the SMU student senate, President’s scholar Garrett C. Fisher is big on community. Specifically, he’s big on representing and helping his community.

This summer, Fisher got a crash course in just that when he became one of 11 scholars from across the country to attend the Institute for Responsible Citizenship in Washington D.C.. The program provides an intensive leadership development program for African-American men focused on citizenship and service.

“I hope to take what I learned from my leadership experiences and apply it to the communities I would like to work in one day,” says Fisher, a senior who is pursuing bachelor’s degrees in business administration in the Cox School of Business and public policy in the Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences.

While in Washington, Fisher also served as a finance intern for Capital Impact Partners, a non-profit community development financial institution. As an intern he worked on financial modeling and attended discussions about the company’s business strategy for 2020 and its public policy of the future.

“I think it was particularly valuable to observe the practices that work in organizations and those that don’t,” Fisher says. “My plan is to take that knowledge and apply it on a larger scale with respect to public policy and economic development in urban communities.”