Award-winning student loves SMU traditions

Elishah Ramos ’15 (in foreground of photo at right) was one of 10 students who received the “M” award, SMU’s highest commendation, at the University’s 18th annual Honors Convocation, in April.

“I’m pretty excited about it. It was a surprise for me. I know so many other students who work so hard for the University and are equally deserving of this award. So it’s humbling for me to be acknowledged in this way,” says Elishah, who also has served as an SMU Ambassador and is the first in his family to go to college.

An esteemed University tradition, Honors Convocation is a celebration of academic excellence achieved by SMU students. And Elishah, a double major in markets and culture and Spanish and a human rights minor, loves traditions. He also served as a Peruna handler, in charge of the SMU mascot during athletic events.

“Going to the football games and Boulevarding, I see the traditions that continue Mustang Pride,” he says. It’s been a reminder that I made the right choice.”

The New York transplant is looking forward to helping prospective students consider how SMU can be the right choice for them in his new role as a full-time admission counselor for the SMU Office of Undergraduate Admission.

Elishah, who begins work in June, following graduation, is confident about tapping into his own experiences to help recruit students to his alma mater. When deciding where to go to college, he knew he wanted to be on a campus that felt like a community. He had great schools in mind – SMU was the only school on his list in Texas. Having been a member of a high school graduating class of 24 students, he knew he wanted a supportive environment, for both his social life and his academics.

Elishah had heard about the panoply of opportunities in Dallas. So when he attended Destination SMU as an admitted student and met other students and stayed in Dallas for the weekend, he knew he had found what he wanted. “It was just so welcoming and warm – I really felt that sense of community I was looking for. I got a glimpse of what an average student gets every day. SMU is large enough for you to not necessarily know everyone, but small enough for you to make friends easily. I was also looking for a campus that was close to a major city – that wasn’t in the middle of nowhere. Dallas has a lot to offer, and SMU was the school most willing to work with me on my financial aid package. It all just felt right somehow. Looking at all the schools, I really felt SMU was home.”