SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: EJ ROREM ’24

Each year, our sophomore Tower Scholars sit down with the NexPoint Tower Scholar seniors to interview them so that they can create a “Senior Spotlight” blog post highlighting the seniors’ unique stories. Seniors share their journeys to develop a well-informed perspective on policymaking and international affairs through a combination of theory and practice in the program, alongside their multidisciplinary major courses of study. The conversations captured reflect the experience of our scholars and their learnings not only in the Tower Center but at SMU overall.

Rylan Robb’26 interviewed EJ Rorem ’24 to learn more about his time as a NexPoint Tower Scholar and to understand how the program helped develop skills needed for a career in public policy.

A senior graduating in 2024 and currently majoring in political science and statistical science and minoring in public policy and international affairs, EJ hopes to complete a Boren Scholarship and work for the federal government.

Question/Prompt 1: What does the Tower Scholars Program mean for you both personally and academically?

Being a part of the Tower Scholars Program has been both personally and academically transformative for me. Academically speaking, it’s provided me an excellent preparation for a career in foreign policy. The program has equipped me with essential skills to become an effective analyst. I’ve learned to understand the key players and grasp the intricacies of the policy process, which is absolutely invaluable. Moreover, the experience I’ve gained in memo writing is crucial for anyone who wants to work in policymaking.

On a personal level, being in a tight-knit cohort of ten students all connected through the Tower Program has been a great experience. We’ve taken many classes together, which has fostered a strong sense of camaraderie among us. The staff, despite undergoing transitions, has been incredibly supportive, organizing events both on and off campus. This has enriched our experience immeasurably. It’s truly been an awesome journey to gain this kind of exposure while surrounded by such remarkable individuals.

Question/Prompt 2: How was your senior practicum for the Tower Scholars Program?

My internship at Pointe Bello was an incredible opportunity I owe to the program. Logistically, the Tower Center helped a lot with streamlining the placement and application process. My time at Pointe Bello allowed me to directly engage with the intersections of U.S. national security and private sector initiatives.

Private intelligence is a rapidly developing field, and my work at Pointe Bello primarily involved leveraging open-source intelligence (OSINT). I monitored the global activities of Chinese state-owned enterprises, especially their involvement in the developing world through the Belt and Road Initiative. This helps inform the firm and its clients on how to develop strategies that could enhance U.S. companies’ competitive edge in regions like Africa and Latin America. Alongside that work, I also wrote a research paper on the pace and progress of professionalization in the private intelligence sector. Being able to pair that academic work with practical experience through my internship was really enjoyable.

Question/Prompt 3: What advice would you have for incoming freshmen?

If you’re even remotely interested in the Tower Scholars Program, my advice is to apply. The application process itself is enlightening—it prompts you to really analyze your own interests in depth and understand them better. But remember, there are numerous opportunities out there for students interested in public policy besides the Tower Program as well. The Center for Presidential History and the Bush Center are fantastic resources, and I’ve gotten a lot out of attending their events and getting to know their staff.

There’s a wealth of activities to get involved in both on and off campus. Make it a point to constantly apply for internships and seek ways to immerse yourself in your field of interest. For me, internships and study abroad programs were high priorities. Each summer, I made sure to apply to something, ideally multiple somethings. In my first year, even though it was virtual, I found that a lot of internships in D.C. were more accessible to out-of-state applicants. I eventually was awarded a Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) for the study of the Persian language. I would definitely recommend that program to students trying to gain critical language proficiency.

Our Fellowship Office is exceptional as well, and the staff has been very supportive of me throughout my time at SMU. In my second year, I applied for numerous internships and landed one through the Fund for American Studies (TFAS). That program provides housing, some scholarships, courses that can be taken for SMU credit, and an internship placement, which is of excellent value. Last summer, I got to travel to Tajikistan with the CLS program. If you’re leaning towards a career in foreign policy, study abroad experiences can be particularly meaningful. We have some in-house programs at SMU, but again, critical languages are high-value skills that can come with fully paid study abroad opportunities, so that’s definitely worth considering seriously. Overall, just keep moving. Keep looking for and applying to cool opportunities and you’ll end up building really useful connections and experiences.

Question/Prompt 4: What has been your favorite course at SMU?

My favorite class at SMU has undoubtedly been Gateway to Global Policymaking, taught by Professors Newton and Stanley. It was the first course I took in the Tower Program with my cohort. We went from zero to sixty pretty quickly, diving deep into complex topics with incredible guest speakers and engaging class debates. It was my first big experience as a Tower Scholar, and it holds a special place in my heart; not just for the nostalgia, but also because the teaching was outstanding, especially the memo writing component, which I found immensely useful. The combination of novelty, fantastic teachers, the learning process, and my cohort being there together made it my favorite class.

Another class that stands out is Coexistence and Conflict in the Middle East by Professor Sabri Ates. It was a whirlwind exploration of various ethnic and religious minorities in the Middle East and the unique struggles they face. This was an honors-section class, so the class size was capped at about 15, which allowed for a more intimate setting where we would cover the necessary lectures and then spend the rest of the time in thoughtful class discussions.

Additionally, for a creative and intellectual change of pace, I took an honors creative writing course with Dr. Rubin. It involved reading, discussing, and writing short stories, which was a very refreshing change of pace from the other courses I was taking. It provided a welcome respite from some of the more demanding courses in statistics and political science.

Question/Prompt 5: What is your immediate plans after college, and what’s your 10-year plan?

I hope to go back to Tajikistan through another program, possibly the Boren Scholarship. The scholarship offers non-competitive eligibility, which can help when applying for government jobs, and a one-year commitment to federal service that aligns perfectly with my aspirations. I’d love to work in foreign policy and national security as an analyst. I’m currently looking at applying to positions within the State Department, the Department of Defense, and various intelligence agencies. I’ve decided to hold off on pursuing a master’s degree for the time being. I want to gain some practical experience first.

Looking 10 years ahead, I anticipate pursuing a master’s degree, hopefully armed with a clearer understanding of what will further my career at that point. In the very long term, I envision becoming a professor of practice. I’d like to have a career that would inform my lectures and allow me to pass along some practical insights. To me, some of the most fascinating professors and guest lecturers have been those who’ve traversed beyond academia and have brought back some interesting real-world experiences to share. That’s the kind of professor I aspire to be after a fulfilling career in the field.