Featured Stories

Many Hats, One SMU

Originally from Prosper, Texas, Tho Le is a rising senior majoring in Business Management and Biological Sciences. Her Residential Commons affiliation is Armstrong Commons.

Patterned or pleated, hats are a great way to add some personality or make an impact on an outfit. Similarly, the many figurative hats that we wear can make an impact in our lives and on our experiences. Over the past few years here at SMU, I have had the opportunity to participate in a number of leadership roles on the Hilltop, giving me an all-encompassing view of what it means to be a Mustang. I have served as an Orientation Leader, Student Ambassador, Alpha Chi Omega Vice President of Intellectual Development, Panhellenic Council Vice President of Community Development, Relay for Life Vice President of Communications, Program Council Communications and Graphic Design Chair, in addition to being involved in several other organizations like my nonprofit, YouLead GYL.

All of this, of course, has taken place in tandem with my academic pursuits that involve balancing a double major in Business Management and Biology, and a minor in History.

These leadership and involvement opportunities have provided me with invaluable skills that have enabled me to live the true SMU experience.

These leadership and involvement opportunities have provided me with invaluable skills that have enabled me to live the true SMU experience. I have loved seeing different facets of SMU in different lights, and each of these experiences have made an impact on me. My time here at SMU—wearing so many different hats—has taught me a great deal about myself and my passions. Through multiple endeavors, I have been able to redefine my goals for my future by experimenting with what I love (and don’t love) in each of these roles. This provided me with a strong background in a variety of areas that have impacted my learning and development. These leadership roles have also taught me about responsibility and discipline. I have learned not only how to know and understand which hat is best to wear in different scenarios, but I have also learned how to find a balance and harmony with everything I do. These roles helped me to get to know SMU, which has provided me myriad resources and support that I could not be more thankful for. While I know that I will continue to try on new hats in the future, I am confident in knowing that I will always draw upon the lessons and experiences of those I’ve previously worn here at SMU.

2019-20 (Click to view)

Tho’s story was originally featured in our 2019-20 Impact publication. To view more amazing student stories and hear about the work of Student Affairs, we invite you to check out the publication.

To learn more about the Division of Student Affairs at SMU, please visit www.smu.edu/studentaffairs.