SMUSA Book Club events are open to all SMU staff, including retired and temporary.  While the book club is targeted to staff, faculty are also welcome to attend events.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I can’t make all of the events?  Can I still come to a few of them?

Yes!  SMUSA Book Club events are open to anybody, so if you can only make one don’t feel shy about dropping in!  We expect to have a varied audience at each event.

Will there be group facilitators?

Please visit the Upcoming Events page to view upcoming event details.  We may not have time to answer all questions during our meetings, but feel free to bring your questions to the group and we will discuss as many as we have time for.  In cases where we’ve arranged for a guest speaker, there may be very limited time for discussion.

Will we be provided with copies of the books?

Unfortunately we do not have a budget to allow us to provide free copies of the books.  If you do not wish to purchase a copy of the book, you may be able to request one from your local library or through SMU Libraries (yes, we do have popular fiction that you can check out!).  If you prefer eBooks or audiobooks, many public libraries offer this service as well.

Do I need to bring a copy of the book to the meeting?

While it can be helpful to bring a copy of the book if you want to refer back to certain passages, it certainly isn’t required.

Do I need to RSVP?

Although RSVPs are preferred, they aren’t required. Knowing how many people are will be attending an event allows us to arrange for an adequate space.

I’ve read the book a few months ago and don’t remember it / I wasn’t able to read the book but am still interested.  Can I still attend meetings?

Of course!  If you haven’t read the book yet, be warned: you’ll hear some spoilers!  For some books, we’ve planned special events with fascinating guest speakers.  Even if you haven’t read the book, or if it’s been awhile, the speakers will provide an added value.

Events Calendar

Upcoming