Managers move their direct reports through the annual cycle of performance management at three (3)
- Checkpoint 1: approval of goals
- Checkpoint 2: mid-year review
- Checkpoint 3: finalize goals (in preparation for the annual review)
Next Steps for Teams Who Have Been Entering and Tracking Goals During the Performance Year
If your team has been entering goals and tracking progress throughout the performance year of September 15, 2017 through September 14, 2018 including conducting the mid-year review, there are two (2) steps to prepare the employee’s performance document for the evaluation phase.
- Give your employees time to update any information in the system and include a due by date.
- Once the employee has updated their goal information, you will open that person’s Performance Document and click the “Complete” button in the top right hand corner of the document. Clicking complete locks the document and it is no longer editable. You will be prompted to confirm that you want to finalize goals for this employee. Click “Yes” to confirm. Clicking “Complete” also generates the self-evaluation form for the employee and the Manager evaluation form.
Next Steps for Teams Who Have Not Been Tracking Goals During the Performance Year
Employees who have not yet entered goals and/or had them approved by their Manager should follow these steps in preparation for the Annual Performance Review. Note that after each step, the employee and Manager must exit the Performance Document and re-open it in order to document the updates. You may do this by clicking the home (house) button on the top right of the screen and navigating back to the employee’s Performance Document.
Reference the Employee and Manager Training Guides for additional information. See the Resources section.
- Employee: enter past year’s goals in the Performance Document with a period beginning 9/15/2017 and ending 9/14/2018. All information should be up to date and include what the employee would like to discuss in the review conversation.
- Manager: Review, edit as necessary, and approve goals
- Manager: the Mid-Year Review is scheduled to occur in mid-April and because we are past this timeframe you should click “Skip Checkpoint”
- Manager: Click “Complete” (top right corner) to finalize the criteria (goals) and advance the Performance Document to the Self and Manager Evaluation step. The Performance Document will be locked and no future edits can be made.
Completing the Employee and Manager Evaluation
The employee and the Manager should simultaneously complete their respective evaluations.
Note: The employee cannot see the Manager’s evaluation and vice versa until the document is shared in the system. Once shared by either, no further edits may be made to the evaluation document.
Important: both the employee and Manager should rate performance on each goal AND each competency with options being:
- Exceeding Expectations
- Meeting Expectations
- Not Meeting Expectations
For a description for each rating, click on the rating icon.
Each goal and each competency also have text boxes where comments specific to that goal or competency may be documented and feedback summarized.
The Goals and Competencies sections each also have summary areas at the bottom on the page.
Note: the calculator icon on the screen will average the ratings assigned for each area.
Employees are not required to submit a rating for each goal and each competency and may advance to the next step if selections are not made.
Note: if an employee misses a rating and has shared their Self-Evaluation with their Manager, they will not be able to go back to update a rating or add additional comments.
Managers however must, at a minimum, rate each goal and each competency and complete the summary ratings. They may not advance without being prompted to finalize their evaluation. The Manager evaluation is considered the evaluation of record, therefore must be fully completed.
The Annual Review Process
Once the employee has completed their Self-Evaluation, they should share it with their Manager. The employee may export and save/print their evaluation at any time before the review meeting.
Note: The Manager does not share their evaluation until after the review meeting.
After the Review meeting, the Manager should update their Evaluation for the employee, as necessary, based on the conversation with the employee. When complete, the Manager should share their evaluation with the employee.
The final step is for the employee to review the Manager’s evaluation and then click the “Acknowledge” button at the top right of document. They are acknowledging that they have been provided with a copy of the Manager’s evaluation.
When clicked, the document is re-routed to the Historical Folder where it may be viewed by both the Manager and the employee going forward. The document may not be edited once in the Historical folder.
Manager Training Guide SMU Box
Employee Training Guide SMU Box
Manager Calendaring Tool SMU Box
Goal Setting Job Aid SMU Box
ePerformance FAQ SMU Wiki