Know the Resources Available to You
SMU knows that managers play a key role in living out the mission and achieving the goals of the University. The primary objective of this orientation program is to support a new manager’s successful transition to a supervisory role within the University. It’s important to note, however, that the training is not just for new managers!
Manager Orientation is designed to provide anyone who supervises staff with essential skills and key information needed to successfully manage both employee performance and organizational initiatives. All managers can benefit from understanding University policies and procedures, knowing the right people to contact for assistance, and learning critical skills that support successful working relationships.
The Program consists of 3 required and 3 elective workshops.
Who Should Attend?
- Newly hired and newly promoted managers are required to complete the program within their first year of hire or status change.
- All managers can benefit from a refresher on these topics — especially the three required workshops covering SMU policy, practices and work culture.
- Employees aspiring to a manager role in the future — help them get a jump start on the program by encouraging them to start the training before the promotion. Having the information ahead of time helps the employee know what to expect in the future and may help them develop the needed skills more quickly.
Upcoming workshops include (* indicates a required workshop to complete the program):
|Project Management Essentials for the
Unofficial Project Manager
|Jan 26||8:30 am-5:00 pm|
|*Legal and Risk Management for Managers||Feb 2||3-5:00 pm|
|Coaching – Power of Questions||Feb 16||1-5:00 pm|
|*Workplace Diversity Issues for Managers||Feb 18||10:00 am-noon|
|Presentation Advantage||March 1||8:30 am-5:00 pm|
|*Introduction to Human Resources||March 2||2 – 4:00 pm|
|Managing and Coaching for High Performance||March 22||1-5:00 pm|
|Speed of Trust||March 29||1-5:00 pm|
|*Legal and Risk Management for Managers||March 31||10:00 am-noon|
|5 Choices||April 6||9:00 am-5:00 pm|
|Employee Relations Essentials||April 7||9:-11:00 am|
|*Workplace Diversity Issues for Managers||April 12||3-5:00 pm|
Enroll via at https://my.smu.edu and navigate to Self Service>Learning and Development> Request Training Enrollment. Follow the on-screen directions to select and submit an enrollment request.
- Manager Orientation Overview
- Workshop Descriptions and Schedule
- Enrollment Instructions
- Progress Tracking
Questions? Email us at DevelopU@smu.edu.
The SMU Managers Blog provides timely and relevant information to support managers in their roles.
Sign up for the RSS feed and immediately receive posts in your Outlook inbox.