SMU newspaper reports on D-Day
On June 7, 1944, SMU’s “The Campus” newspaper reports on the tide turning invasion in France with a mix of editorials, hard-nosed journalism, features stories and typical campus happenings. This newspaper offers an excellent snapshot of what campus was like, nearly 75 years ago, with a world war raging.
In this issue you’ll find:
- Student’s reaction of the invasion
- Article from Vivian Anderson Castleberry, Journalist and women’s rights activist
- A first hand account of of Japanese Relocation Camps
- The Prayer from SMU president Umphree Lee made on WRR
- Special chapel “Invasion Prayer Service”
- The Mortar Board makes a donation to the library
- Campus Calendar
- Greek News
Currently, SMU Archives has digitized SMU’s student newspaper from 1915 through 1989, which offers a high quality look at all the articles, photos and advertisements of the each publication.