For the Fall 2020 semester, course instruction will move online after the Thanksgiving holiday in the hopes of preventing the spread of COVID-19. For this reason, residence halls will close on November 25 at noon. RLSH will offer extended housing (until the end of Fall Semester) and Winter Break housing for approved reasons. Residents must apply through the housing portal by November 8 if they need to extend their housing until the end of Fall Semester or stay on campus for Winter Break.
In order to share information about application process for Winter Break housing, the following information was e-mailed to all residents of the Residential Commons, Smith House, and Service House on Thursday, September 24:
If you have extenuating circumstances that necessitate being on-campus after closing on Wednesday, November 25, you may request to extend housing as follows:
- Short term for travel considerations: resident departs by Monday, November 30
- Short term for academic considerations: resident departs by Thursday, December 17
Break Housing (November 25, 2020 – Start of Spring Semester)* –
- Request due to financial hardship
- Request due to home insecurity hardship
- Request due to a permanent address outside the contiguous 48 states
- Request due to health concerns (family member at home in high risk group)
- Request due to personal concerns (approval required)
*Break housing is only available for continuing residents with a Fall and Spring assignment and residents who are enrolled for the Spring 2021 semester.
To make a request, please log into the SMU Housing Portal, and use the option in menu for the Fall Extension/WinterBreak 2020.
The deadline to submit a request for an Extension or Break housing is Monday, November 8 at 11:59 PM.
For residents who are considering applying for an extension or for break housing:
- Break housing is only available for continuing students with a Spring 2021 room assignment who are enrolled in classes for the Spring 2021 semester.
- Students who withdraw or leave SMU are not eligible for break housing.
- All SMU policies, including the Code of Conduct and RLSH Community Standards are in effect and all students are expected to abide by all policies.
- No guests or visitors are permitted and residents are expected to follow all COVID-19 precautions such as wearing masks and social distancing measures.
- Dining Services will have limited offerings through December 14. Meal plans are active through December 14, and will start again during spring semester. Students on meal plans will be responsible for their own meals after December 14. Students without meal plans will continue to need to provide their own meals.The University will conduct cleaning and maintenance projects that may result in temporary inconvenience to residents such as interruptions in hot water, closures of community restrooms, carpet cleaning and the like.
- The Residence Life and Student Housing Office located in Boaz Residential Commons will be open during regular business hours, 8:30-5:00 Monday-Friday.
- Services on-campus will be limited, and offices will be closed from Thursday, November 26, 2020 through Friday, November 27, 2020 and from Wednesday, December 23, 2020 through Sunday, January 3, 2021.
Please visit https://www.smu.edu/StudentAffairs/ResidenceLifeandStudentHousing/About/Alerts in order to have access to the most updated information. Answers to most of your questions can be found on this website.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to determine the best ways to support our students as we all navigate the ever-changing landscape.