Residence Life and Student Housing is eagerly awaiting and preparing for the return of student to campus in August. The following updates and reminders were sent to residential students and their emergency contacts on July 14.
We are looking forward to having you on the Hilltop this August. Fall Move-In will look and feel a little different than in years past because the University has implemented new processes and procedures to enable a healthier campus. Click here to find more detailed information about our enhanced safety policies and procedures.
Fall Exemption Policy Deadline Extended
To best support our students, the University is providing two additional residential options for fall.
- A one-semester exemption for the fall semester to the requirement that all first- and second-year students live in on-campus housing.
- A one-semester request for a single room for the fall semester.
Students can make their request under the “Healthy Fall at SMU” section of the SMU Housing Portal. This option will remain open until July 31. Students who are comfortable with their housing application preferences do not need to do anything at this time. Specific details about these exemption requirements can be found on your housing portal under the “Healthy at SMU” tab.
Reminder to Sign Up for a Move in Time for Fall Semester
If you haven’t already done so, please log in to the SMU Housing Portal and sign up for a move-in time. You must sign up for a fall move-in timeslot before July 31. Students without a timeslot will not be able to move in.
In preparation, for Fall Move-In, here are some basic reminders:
- The Move-In webpage will be updated before August with additional instructions.
- Each student will have a two-hour time slot to move in.
- Students may bring up to two family members or guests to help them move in.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, SMU is unable to provide volunteers to help students move their belongings.
- Students may borrow moving bins from their check-in location . Check in locations will be sent to students in early August, and will generally be in a tent near their assigned community.
- Students and guests or family members are expected to perform a COVID-19 self-screen prior to arriving on campus.
- Family members who are at a high risk for severe illness should not attend Fall Move-In.
Loft Request Information and Planning
Loft requests will start being accepted on Thursday, July 16, via the SMU Housing Portal. The deadline to submit a request is Friday, July 31. To minimize the spread of COVID-19, only requests to have beds lowered will be accepted after the July 31 deadline. If you request to have your bed lowered, specific details will be sent to you regarding what needs to take place in your room before our staff enter.
Mail Central Information
Each student living on campus will be assigned a mailbox at Mail Central, located at Hughes-Trigg Student Center. Students will receive their post office box number via their SMU email address from Mail Central in July.
Residential Cleaning Efforts
SMU put in place enhanced cleaning protocols for residence halls designed to keep University students healthy while on campus. Enhancements include a 94% increase in hand sanitizer availability, a 10% surge in custodial staff hiring, and an increased emphasis on disinfecting high-touch areas such as light switches and door knobs. Additional measures, including the use of hospital-grade disinfectants, are outlined here.
Helpful Links to Consider
As you prepare for your arrival on the Hilltop, here are some helpful links to consider.
You probably have many questions about what you will experience this fall. Be sure to check your email regularly so you don’t miss important information. Be on the lookout for a frequently asked questions (FAQ) page to the RLSH website so you can check for updates and resources.
Returning students who had items moved and stored by SMU-arranged movers during Spring 2020 must reach out to their moving company to let them know that you are living on campus during the fall semester. The movers will return items to campus between August 5-12 so belongings will be in student rooms prior to Fall Move-In.
We look forward to seeing you on campus in a few weeks!