February 2020 News Perspective Online

Office of Enrollment Management: We’re Counting Our Blessings

The Rev. Dr. Margot Perez-Greene, Ph.D. 
Associate Dean of Enrollment Management

We’re counting our blessings as we consider the meaningful work we do in the Office of Enrollment Management, which involves recruitment, admission, financial aid and financial literacy. Every recruitment season, which is 12 months of the year, we encounter stories of call, transformation, dedication and sacrifice. Even in these turbulent times that bring uncertainty, individuals called to ministry surface, and we have the pleasure of continuing the dialogue with them of discernment and leadership preparation for the church and beyond.

Our goal for new students for the academic year 2019-20 was 120. We welcomed 104 new students in the fall (including 14 doctoral students) and 26 in the spring (all master’s students), bringing us to the grand total of 130. We made it! All in all, we know that the fall of 2020 looms large, as does the General Conference; however, we keep on fighting the good fight because God is still calling folks to ministry.

We are counting our blessings because we have students who, in the midst of uncertainty, follow their calls and seek training and education from Perkins. It is one thing for our faculty and staff to promote Perkins, and quite another when we hear from students who are experiencing the value they encounter at Perkins. For the purpose of this publication, we invited four of them to share the reasons they chose Perkins. Feel free to forward this good news to prospective students. Or, we are happy to follow up with any prospective student you bring to our attention or send our way. You can call me (214-768-3332) or email me (margot@smu.edu). I hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,

The Rev. Margot Perez-Greene, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of Enrollment Management

“I chose Perkins for about three reasons. I wanted to have a well-balanced education that would allow me to engage many different theological perspectives as I continue to curate my own. I also wanted to have a local community. Though I value online education, I wanted to have direct access to faculty and staff. Building those kinds of relationships is important to me, and I find that I tend to study better in tangible community. Last, I had a great experience with the faculty before I chose to enroll … staff were so welcoming and helped me to find the resources I needed to attend an institution such as Perkins. They also worked with me and my local annual conference to find the financial resources, and I have not looked back since. I’m proud to attend this seminary, and I am overjoyed to help build and serve this community of thinkers and servant leaders.”

– Julian Hobdy, First Year, Master of Divinity

“I have especially enjoyed my time as a first-year student at Perkins because the faculty and staff are so involved in the overall success of every student. I feel that in each of my classes the professors want to do everything possible to help me and my fellow students succeed. I also think that the staff are always available to assist with questions or when I just need to talk. The community atmosphere is not just a slogan here; it is a way of life, and that is what I think sets Perkins apart from other schools. Thanks again, to all, for your help with my journey to Perkins and for being so accessible!”

– Jerrod Bacchus, First Year, Master of Divinity

“I knew that Perkins School of Theology is growing a diverse community, so I wanted to start my journey in this diverse community. One of my classmates asked me how I feel about going from being part of a majority in Korea to a minority in the United States. I answered that I was so glad because I got out of a homogenous community and I feel the dynamism of this diverse community at Perkins. As a member of the global village, I am learning how to communicate with, understand and love others who are different from me at Perkins!”

– Jae Jun “Daniel” Cho, First Year, Master of Divinity

“The warm welcome and hospitality of all the students, staff and faculty I met while visiting Perkins made me feel right at home and part of the Perkins family in ways I had not experienced at any other theology school I visited.”

– Melissa Nelms, First Year, Master of Divinity