With the spring semester in full swing, the Development Office is as busy as ever. We have several items of interest to report this month:
- On February 5, Perkins’ annual Bolin Family Scholarship Luncheon filled The Martha Proctor Mack Grand Ballroom to capacity. New York Times columnist and best-selling author David Brooks was the featured speaker. Funds raised from table sponsorships and individual ticket sales went into the Perkins Student Scholarship Fund.
- Jane Bolin, a member of the Perkins Executive Board, and her husband, Pat, are naming sponsors at this event each year. We are extremely grateful for their support!
- The next time you are on campus, stop by the refurbished Perkins Chapel. The last restoration was done 21 years ago, in 1999. The recent renewal was funded by a bequest from the estate of Dr. Mark Lemmon, a pioneering plastic surgeon of great renown. Dr. Lemmon was the son of architect Mark Lemmon, the man who designed the Perkins Quadrangle in 1945. As a result of this bequest, Perkins Chapel is more beautiful than ever. The work included refreshed paint, updated lighting, refinished pews and floors, and a new sound system, including audiovisual capabilities to make live-streaming events from the Chapel possible.
- We are currently raising funds for a refurbished historic organ for Perkins Chapel. A 1927 E. M. Skinner organ has been purchased and is in storage waiting to be renewed. Stay tuned in the near future for some exciting developments on that effort.
- In November, Lee Henry joined the Perkins Development team as Advancement Associate. Lee is a native of the Dallas area and a graduate of the University of Texas, and worked in advertising technology for Facebook for several years. He excels in writing, editing and computer skills. We are pleased to have him on our team. Welcome, Lee.
- Did you know that you can set up recurring online gifts to Perkins? Visit https://giving.smu.edu/schools-areas/perkins/ and follow the prompts. Using your credit or debit card, you can set up monthly, quarterly or annual gifts of whatever amount you select. More and more of our SMU/Perkins donors are using the online option. It is convenient and helps you fulfill your charitable intent to give. Donate just $83 a month and you’ll give a total of $1,000 a year to support one of the worthy projects at Perkins. Choose from one or more of the special funds listed in the drop-down menu.
- We are grateful for continued gifts and support from our faithful donors and friends at this important time in the history of Perkins School of Theology. As always, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our mailing address is Perkins Development, PO Box 750133, Dallas, TX 75275-0133. Please feel free to contact me at any time. Your gifts are extremely important.
John A. Martin
Director of Development