January 2023 News Perspective Online

Interim Dean at Perkins

Bishop Michael McKee (M.Th. ‘78) did not languish in retirement for even a moment. On Jan. 1, he retired as episcopal leader of the North Texas Annual Conference, and on the same day, became dean ad interim of Perkins School of Theology. He will serve until a permanent dean has been named.

McKee steps into the deanship following Dean Craig C. Hill’s planned retirement as dean on Dec. 31, 2022. The announcement of McKee’s interim position was made Aug. 10 by Elizabeth G. Loboa, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs for Southern Methodist University.

McKee had served as Bishop of North Texas since his election by the South Central Jurisdiction in 2012. He was also a member of SMU’s Board of Trustees, but is stepping down during his interim deanship.

McKee said that he looked forward to returning to campus and giving back to his alma mater.

“In many ways, the person I’ve become, I owe to the theological education I got at Perkins,” he said. “I want other people to have that kind of experience.”

Before the announcement of Hill’s retirement, McKee had been appointed to serve as Bishop in Residence at Perkins. He has actively participated in Perkins’ Internship Program, mentoring nearly a dozen students over the years. A few years ago, he was honored for having mentored more students than any other mentor pastor.

“Even then, at the age of 50, serving as a mentor was formative for me,” he said. “It helped me realize that you must be a lifelong learner to be a leader in the church. And that the church is so privileged to have a theological institution like Perkins in its midst.”