Share:

Passion For Preaching

Passion for Preaching is a blog by different writing about a range of topics related to preaching. Many of the writers are participants in the Peer Groups or the Coaching Program, but other voices are welcome as well. If you would like to submit a 500-800 word essay to be considered for the blog, please email preaching@smu.edu.

Preaching Hope By Robert W. Brewer Theologian Jürgen Moltmann states that Christianity is filled with too much religious sentimentality and not enough messianic hope (See Moltmann, Theology of Hope and specifically The Spirit […]

It Really Does Matter by Sara M. Holland When I was serving United Parish of Auburndale in Newton, Massachusetts in 2013, I called my father while writing a sermon. I […]

A poem by W. Craig Gilliam, 2017 Our Stories Become Us Like the sisters of fate, I weave the fabric of my life out of words; strained, cracked, sometimes broken, […]

Poem and comments by W. Craig Gilliam  Extremes are easy  Where one ends, the other begins. Extremes are easy. Only the middle is a puzzle. Midsummer— the middle way, shades […]

By Rev. Ann Willet In every church I have served, I have been blessed with a church member who was willing to be a conversation partner with me in sermon […]

Poem and commentary by W. Craig Gilliam   Poetry makes nothing happen, it simply blows on the smoldering embers under the grey ash, heart-felt fire for change,   inviting what […]

By Bishop D. Max Whitfield Preaching is the greatest honor bestowed upon a clergyperson.  It is the opportunity to proclaim the fantastic good news of salvation and new life in […]

By Dr. Mike Graves Let’s be clear, while there are a myriad of styles of preaching these days—everything from the traditional three-point sermon to creative narratives—there seem to be only […]

By Alyce M. McKenzie Last week I had the privilege of being one of four keynote speakers for the Young Preachers Festival at Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. It […]

— By Jim Bankston, Retired United Methodist Clergy, Texas Annual Conference My passion for preaching is that one’s faith should be related to life, to what is happening in the […]

By The Rev. Christopher Szarke. Preaching advice reminds us to keep the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other. I’ve taken that to heart, with my other hand […]

by Alyce McKenzie Part of my passion for preaching is a passion for paying attention. Paying attention, to the text, one’s inner life, and events in the world, is a […]