The U.S. Department of State has issued a Worldwide Travel Alert through February 24, 2016, that alerts U.S. citizens to possible risks of travel due to increased terrorist threats.
The State Department says U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation; be aware of immediate surroundings; avoid large crowds or crowded places; and exercise particular caution at holiday festivals or events.
State Department security tips include:
- Follow the instructions of local authorities. Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
- Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Register in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Find information about advance international travel registration for SMU-affiliated programs or activities.