About this blog

The “Off the Shelf” blog, authored by the Norwick Center for Digital Solutions (nCDS),  provides information on items uploaded into SMU Libraries Digital Collections. nCDS is working to digitize the extensive special collections holdings of the SMU Libraries and make them freely available over the Internet on the SMU Libraries Digital Collections web site.

9 Responses to About this blog

1. Brad says:

What is the header photo? It looks like a panoramic photograph, or has it been cropped for the layout? Can you provide title, photographer, date, format, subject info on the About this blog page?

Thanks, Brad

2. Hi, Brad. This photo is Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico, ca. 1910, by Eugenio B. Downing. It is from the DeGolyer Library’s Giesecke collection of photographs of Mexico.

You may view it at:
    http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/u?/mex,222

3. I’m sorry but this is not Saltillo Coahuila, surely is another city in Mexico, I live in Saltillo I have a big collection of old photos of my city and I’m 100% sure Saltillo.

4. We have changed the title to [Town Square, Mexico] while we try to determine the precise location. If anyone has any information about the place depicted in this photo, please let us know.

5. Victor Hugo Ramirez says:

Hello, this is actually the city of Zacatecas, Zac. It was taken in 1910, the garden was named appreciated Hidalgo Garden (now defunct). Currently the main square of the city. On the right, we see the “Alley of the Bells”, and the building is the French hotel. As a curiosity, iron benches were made in this city by the prisoners in the jail of Santo Domingo.

6. Thank you for clarifying the location. We now have it listed as Zacatecas, Zacatecas (province), Mexico.

• Victor Hugo Ramirez says:

is a pleasure to work with your institution. Receive a big welcome.

• Victor Hugo Ramirez says:

hello, I can help them identify the images that are on file and are not defined specifically as Zacatecas or Durango? I think I can do it, hopefully accept. GREETINGS.