Politics, government & ethics

Ethics, law, and politics

Stephen Branchflower Report to the Legislative Council (Vol. I, p. 8): For the reasons explained in Section IV of this Report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.11(a) provides: “The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office […]

Stephen Branchflower Report to the Legislative Council (Vol. I, p. 8):

For the reasons explained in Section IV of this Report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.11(a) provides:

“The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.”

From the October 12, 2008, New York Times:

Campaigning in Altoona, Pa., on Saturday, Ms. Palin provided her assessment of Mr. Branchflower’s findings, insisting that the investigation found “no unlawful or unethical activity on my part” and adding that “there was no abuse of authority at all in trying to get Officer Wooten fired.”