Planning activities are well underway for the various classrooms that will receive technology upgrades and changes during the new fiscal year. The majority of projects will be completed during the summer months. Based on resource capacity and a few scheduling conflicts within the rooms themselves, a handful of rooms will be scheduled during Winter Break. Continue reading Summer 2019 Classroom Upgrade Schedule
Our 2017 edition of the OIT Classroom Summary Report is now available to the SMU community. In this edition, we discuss the recent classroom updates, new features in the high-tech prototype classrooms, classroom automation, plus emergency assistance and training for the classrooms.
To access the report, click the link below.
Authenticating to Box@SMU is required before viewing or downloading the report.
This report is confidential and not intended for distribution outside the University.
As we began planning for the summer classroom upgrades, we took a more collaborative approach to the planning and design.
- Completed a full inventory of all the classrooms including researching the original installation date of the equipment.
- Categorized the rooms into three distinct types that would help guide the design of the technology.
- Met with each of the Academic Technology Service Directors to obtain a wish list of classroom upgrades and changes.
- Identified rooms from the OIT perspective that needed to be addressed based on the number of support calls and maintenance issues.
- Reviewed the full list and assigned estimated quotes for each room.
- Determined the rooms that could be completed utilizing the $500,000 allocated for Classroom Upgrades for FY18.
Working closely with the Academic Technology Service Directors and the Academic Technology Council, we have identified approximately 70 rooms to receive classroom technology upgrades this fiscal year. We are currently in the process of scheduling the rooms and finalizing bids with our vendors. The scheduling component will largely determine how many of those rooms we are able to complete over the summer months. SMU classrooms are still in such heavy use during the summer months that it leaves little time for major upgrade work.
There are a few exciting new changes that are included this year. Continue reading Classroom Technology Refreshes with New Collaboration Devices
There is little question that the classroom is the most prominent place on any university campus. With all of the frequent changes in technology utilized in the educational process, our classroom equipment requires constant attention to make and keep SMU on the cutting edge of what’s needed to shape the next generation of world changers.
OIT has taken immense strides over the summer to update and improve classrooms across campus. One of the largest projects has been to consolidate the multiple types of control systems into fewer and simpler configurations. This means that no matter what classroom you’re in, the controls for the audio/visual equipment will be the same or very similar. Plus the controls will be easier to understand and more reliable when it matters most. Continue reading Improved Classroom Controls Now Available