my.SMU Tips & Tricks

my.SMU Update Makes Navigation Easier

my.SMU logoDuring this week’s upcoming routine maintenance of my.SMU, new features and navigational aids will be implemented to provide a more pleasant experience when using the system. While we are still updating our documentation for you, here’s a summary of what to expect!

Quick Access to Favorites and Recent Pages

Your my.SMU homepage will receive a facelift that will provide you with an easy-to-find search bar, quick access to your favorite and recent pages on the left-hand side, and a freshened-up color scheme.

A screenshot of the new search bar in my.SMU.
The new search bar!
A screenshot of the new location of the change homepage dropdown menu in my.SMU
You can now switch between homepages using the dropdown in the top left.
An animated example of using the new left-hand sidebar in my.SMU.
The new left-hand sidebar provides quick access to your favorites and recent items!

Alphabetized Feature List

When using the NavBar menu, which is accessed using the compass icon, you’ll be greeted by a new menu that provides your recently visited pages, favorites, My Preferences, and the icon to access the full menu of features. Within the menu, all of the pages are now organized alphabetically for much easier access! Still want the original menu? No problem! You can switch between the alphabetized and the “standard” menu by clicking the Settings “gear” icon in the NavBar.

An animated example of the refreshed NavBar in my.SMU.
The refreshed NavBar now alphabetizes all of your my.SMU features!

If you run into any issues after the update takes place, try clearing your browser’s cache for best results.

Want to brush up on your my.SMU?

As always, the my.SMU Knowledge Base is available for you with all written documentation and informative videos on using every significant feature of my.SMU.

Published by

Zach Peterson

Zach is a Senior IT Training & Communications Consultant with OIT. Zach began his SMU career at the IT Help Desk in 2012 and joined the Training & Communications Team in 2015. He is a 2011 graduate from the University of North Texas and obtained a Master of Liberal Studies degree from SMU in 2018. He enjoys reading and collecting vintage and antique radio sets. He grew up in Valley View, Texas near Denton.