Duo Security

Reminder: Changes Coming to Duo January 4, 2022

DuoBeginning January 4, 2022, users will no longer be able to use the “call me” or SMS passcode options in Duo Security as these factors are susceptible to vulnerability and fraud.

How else can I use Duo?

The easiest and most secure option for two-factor authentication is to install the Duo Mobile app on your mobile device. Duo Push sends a notification to your phone using less data than a single email message, and with a simple click, you can authenticate. If you haven’t already, visit smu.edu/duo to download the app and enroll your device.

I don’t want to install the Duo Mobile app on my phone. What do I do?

Another option is to use a hardware token which is often easily carried on a key ring. These tokens either plug into the USB port on a computer or display a code for you to enter into the Duo login screen. Faculty and staff can inquire about a hardware token by emailing the IT Help Desk at help@smu.edu.

What if I forget my phone at home? How will I be able to log in?

Should you don’t have access to your mobile device, call 214-768-4357 from another phone, and someone from the IT Help Desk will assist you once they have verified your identity.

For more information about this change and tips on how you can use the Duo “remember me” feature or use your smartwatch to authenticate, visit our announcement about this change. As always, if you need assistance, feel free to reach out to the IT Help Desk at help@smu.edu or 214-768-4357.

Published by

Laurene Klassen

Laurene Klassen grew up in New England but came to Texas as fast as she could. SMU was one of the first spots she visited in Dallas. Laurene is a Microsoft Certified Trainer and Assistant Director of SMU’s IT Training & Communications Team. In her spare time, she enjoys hiking and outdoor activities with her family.