This year we’re putting personal care at the top of our holiday wish list. Why? Because 62% of respondents in a Healthline survey said they experience, “very to somewhat” elevated stress levels during the holiday season. With the help of this LinkedIn Learning video course, you can learn how to combat increased stress levels and gift yourself some much-needed self-care.
For those that don’t know, LinkedIn Learning is a free online learning platform provided by the Office of Information Technology at SMU. LinkedIn Learning allows students to develop new or underdeveloped skills through the use of personalized video courses, and then share their accomplishments on their synced LinkedIn accounts. In the course, Managing Stress, students can learn how to effectively control their stress levels and keep them from negatively impacting their educational, personal, and professional lives.
Here are some simple stress-reducing practices highlighted in the Managing Stress course:
- Identify your triggers and try to avoid them as much as possible.
- Mix up where you work. If you associate stress with a particular location, try spending time somewhere else.
- You have a choice as to who/how much time you spend with individuals. Make sure you are not being drained by others.
- Wake up early and conquer your most challenging tasks first. Pushing off tasks only adds more stress.
- Don’t forget to take breaks. Follow a 30/10 rule. Work for 30 minutes and rest for 10.
- Maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
- Visualize positive outcomes.
- Socialize. Positive emotions reduce stress levels.
- Write a list of all that you are thankful for.
- Start with small steps! Don’t be too hard on yourself if you fail.
To access the course, other courses in LinkedIn Learning, or to learn more about the platform, visit smu.edu/linkedin. Happy learning and happy holidays from our family to yours!