On Monday, April 1, 2019, OIT will begin an initiative to implement two-factor authentication for all SMU students to certain online services. The first such service will be my.SMU. Two-factor authentication utilizes a solution from Duo Security called Duo Mobile.
What is Duo and what does it mean to me?
Duo two-factor authentication (2FA) adds a second layer of security to online services. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your phone or another mobile device) helps prevent anyone but you from using your SMU account to log in to a protected service, even if they know your password. Basically, Duo assures that only you can access your protected information.
Duo and my.SMU
The first system for students to be protected with two-factor authentication is my.SMU. This will protect your account information, grades, and other sensitive data. In the future, we will be protecting other services, such as Office 365.
Please note: Once two-factor authentication is enabled on April 1, 2019, students will be required to use Duo Security for course enrollment or any other my.SMU functions.
What do I need to do?
- Download the Duo Mobile app from your smartphone’s app store. Duo Mobile works with Apple iOS, Google Android, Windows Phone 8, and even the Apple Watch.
- Before April 1, 2019, use your desktop or laptop computer to log in to our Duo Enrollment Tool at smu.edu/duoenroll to set up your device.
- Follow the on-screen Duo enrollment instructions. We suggest having your smartphone available to scan a QR code with the Duo Mobile app.
- We also suggest adding a second device to Duo, if possible.
Enroll Now and Win!
To encourage students to enroll before April 1, OIT will award an Amazon gift card to three randomly selected students who enroll a device early. To be registered for the drawing, simply enroll a device at smu.edu/duoenroll before the contest entry deadline. You will be automatically entered for that drawing and the future drawings upon device enrollment.
- Entries for first Duo Enroll Contest for the $200 Amazon gift card are accepted until 11:59 p.m. on March 10, 2019.
- Entries for second Duo Enroll Contest for the $150 Amazon gift card are accepted until 11:59 p.m. on March 17, 2019.
- Entries for final Duo Enroll Contest for the $100 Amazon gift card are accepted until 11:59 p.m. on March 24, 2019.
The earlier you enroll, the more chances you have to win. So, enroll your device today!
If you have any problems or concerns about using Duo Security and Duo Mobile, please contact the IT Help Desk at 214-768-HELP (4357).