Each year, several hundred computer orders are processed across campus. This process involves coordination between the Purchasing department and OIT. In reviewing the ordering experience as well as the time delays for some orders, we decided to make some major improvements.
Early next month, we will launch a new technology ordering site. This site will allow you to order computers, tablets, monitors and a few accessories for departmental purchases. Below are some of the key improvements to the ordering/installation process:
- You will have the ability to enter a current tag number to determine Tech Fund eligibility right from the order screen. In addition, the total estimated costs for most purchases will be calculated on the screen– answering many of the common questions we typically receive during the current process!
- OIT will stock our standard PC and Mac desktops and laptops as we do today. We will also add to our inventory a standard plus model for each. This standard plus model is selected based on the most frequent customized orders over the past two years. For example: our standard PC Desktop is equipped with an Intel i5 processor. Our standard plus model will include an i7 processor.
- For any standard or standard plus orders through this new site, our team will be notified immediately upon submission. Our goal is to schedule and deploy your new machine within 5 business days.
- For any non-standard computer order, you will be able to complete a custom order form. Purchasing will then work closely with you to provide quotes for the required purchase. Custom orders will be processed quickly with the vendors. Unfortunately, we are not always able to guarantee a rapid delivery date for custom orders. Our goal is to schedule and deploy your new machine within 5 business days of its arrival in our warehouse. Please note, the standard turnaround time for custom orders ranges anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.
- The site will also feature an order tracker. This tracker will allow you to check the status of your various orders quickly and easily from the site.
- All of the information pertaining to standards, purchasing rules, tech fund rules etc will be compiled into the ordering site to help guide you through the process.
We are currently finalizing the new application and will announce its availability next month. We look forward to providing an improved ordering and installation experience for faculty and staff.