As we began planning for the summer classroom upgrades, we took a more collaborative approach to the planning and design.
- Completed a full inventory of all the classrooms including researching the original installation date of the equipment.
- Categorized the rooms into three distinct types that would help guide the design of the technology.
- Met with each of the Academic Technology Service Directors to obtain a wish list of classroom upgrades and changes.
- Identified rooms from the OIT perspective that needed to be addressed based on the number of support calls and maintenance issues.
- Reviewed the full list and assigned estimated quotes for each room.
- Determined the rooms that could be completed utilizing the $500,000 allocated for Classroom Upgrades for FY18.
Classroom Technology Proposal
Information pertaining to the Technology Fund spending for FY17 as well as the plans for FY18 were compiled into a report presented to the Academic Technology Council. The report is available at smu.box.com/v/fy2018-Classroom-Tech.
We already have plans underway to continue developing this process by adding a request form where classroom wish list items can be submitted, reviewed by the Academic Technology team, and incorporated into the classroom planning process. We will also incorporate more feedback mechanisms and better reporting on technology usage in the classrooms.
As always, we welcome your feedback as we continue to provide technology to help facilitate learning.