By: Rajat Shetty
Most offices are well equipped with high definition scanners, printers, copiers, etc. However, there are instances when people need to scan documents on the go, and a scanner is not readily available. The Cam-Scanner app makes scanning in almost any location possible.
While this application is not suitable for high definition scans, you can surely use it for urgent and basic scans of a two or three page document. I scanned my homework with this application, and it worked just fine!
The free version for Cam-Scanner is available in the Apple-App store and the Google Play store (For Android devices). This easy to use app scans documents with your cellphone camera.
To scan a document, follow these steps:
- Download the Cam-Scanner application from your App store and install it on your smartphone.
- Place the document you wish to scan in a well-lit area.
- Capture the image by pressing the center button on the screen.
- Make sure that the entire document is selected, and the edges are not cropped.
- Once the image is locked, you will be able to crop the image you clicked as well as adjust the brightness, contrast, and other parameters.
- Once you have done this, you can click next, and the scanned image will be generated.
- You can convert this image into PDF format and email it immediately, or you can save it on your phone for future use.
Here is a screenshot of scanned document from my Android phone:
The drawbacks associated with this particular application are that you need the latest cell phone which has a high resolution camera (Probably 8 mega pixel onward). Also it’s not suitable, if you are looking to scan large set of documents or books. For a fully functional Cam-Scanner, you can buy the full version called “Cam Scanner Pro”. This is available on App-stores for both Apple and Android phones. However, the free version works fine for small sets of documents. The best part is you can scan, edit, and email the scanned document from your phone, within a matter of minutes.