SMU Abroad

SMU Abroad: Working in London

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 8.28.28 AMBy Adam Melson

I just touched down in Texas after a breathtaking two months studying abroad in London, England. Through SMU’s abroad office, thirty students and myself, lived studied and interned for a range of business institutions in the United Kingdom. Looking back on those two months I can undoubtedly say they were the best two months of my life. After classes, friends and I would spend our afternoons touring the Tower of London, enjoying High Tea, or watching English soccer at Wembley Stadium. The weekends free gave us time to travel across Europe. My favorite trip from London was to Dublin, Ireland for a weekend, and other students went to destinations such as Barcelona or Paris!

During the internship time, I got to experience my first Accounting internship and actually played a crucial role in the company. We all worked Monday through Friday and gained the feel for life after graduation which was exciting! The times I had in London actually got me excited to go back to school in August and gave me a chance to look past American culture in order to enjoy what European culture had to offer.