Last week we had a wonderful lunch with the great Alessandra Link (On twitter at @AlessandraLink2). She talked about writing, learning to write, writing well, and cherishing writing.
Here is a list of the great books she recommended
- Aaron Sachs, “Letters to a Tenured Historian: Imagining History as Creative Nonfiction–or Maybe Even Poetry,” Rethinking History 14:1 (2010)
- Anne Dillard, The Writing Life
- Dani Shapiro, Still Writing (a personal favorite)
- Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird
- John McPhee, Draft No. 4
- Stephen King, On Writing
- Zadie Smith interview
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Katherine Engel (see all)
- Graduate Students as Writers - April 9, 2019
- “arrayed in wood shoes, armed to the teeth, well supplied with spirits… and brimful of wrath and cabbage” - March 18, 2019
- Why Esteem Trumps Fame: The Lesson from George Washington that “we the people” and our Government Should Remember on this President’s Day - February 18, 2019