With many members of our community adjusting to remote work or school, we want to share with you some tips to help aid in a smooth transition.
- Separate Work & Personal Life – This can be especially challenging if you have multiple family members joining you in “staying at home,” but there are some tools you can use to make it easier. Noise canceling headphones and a dedicated desk can help get you in the work zone. Headphones can also serve as a visual signal to your family members that you are currently unavailable.
- Dedicate Work Hours – Adopting productivity practices, like Time Blocking can be helpful when writing out your schedule. According to projectmanager.com, Time Blockingis the practice of scheduling out everything in your entire day, including meals, work projects and personal time in order to better manage time and discover where precious hours are either being wasted or underutilized.
- Plan Your Week – Taking a bird’s eye view approach to your week can assist with hitting deadlines and keeping important projects in motion. This can also aid in preventing the “what day is it” feeling that can overwhelm many of us when our normal routines are interrupted.
- Tidy Your Workspace – A clear desk = a clear mind. Taking 5 minutes before you log into your computer to clear off your workspace can help you stay focused and give you peace of mind.
- Change Your Environment – If you have a laptop or tablet, take an hour and move to a different environment. You can head out to a balcony or back porch or post up at the kitchen table with a cup of tea. A change of scenery can spark creativity and get ideas flowing.
- Exercise and Meditate – Even just five minutes can make an impact. Integrating the practice of exercise and meditation into your daily schedule will yield benefits in your productivity and overall health!
At SMU Global and Online, we believe in the potential of all to learn at any stage of life. Our hope is that you take this unprecedented time to activate the learner inside of you! This can be a great time to explore new interests and learn something new! While some of our in-person courses have been postponed, many are meeting in a live online format to keep our community of learners going. Browse all available SMU continuing education, professional development and personal enrichment courses here.