SMU celebrates Homecoming 2013 with events throughout the week leading to Homecoming Weekend, Oct. 25-27.
The week includes new events such as Canstruction and old favorites such as Pigskin Revue. Canstruction is a new Homecoming philanthropy event in which all participating organizations collect canned goods and build them into a structure reflecting their theme. At the completion of Homecoming Week, the cans will be donated to the North Texas Food Bank.
Pigskin Revue celebrates its 79th anniversary Friday at 8:15 p.m. in McFarlin Auditorium. Join the Mustang Band for a night of song, dance and comedy acts; call 214-SMU-BAND for ticket information.
Leading up to Saturday’s Homecoming football game against Temple will be the annual Homecoming Parade at 11 a.m. SMU alum and Academy Award-winning filmmaker and author William Joyce ’81 will lead the SMU community down Hillcrest as the parade grand marshal. Following the parade, The Boulevard will include new options for food, beverages, fun children’s activities and SMU gear — there’s something for Mustang fans of all ages!
After the Boulevard, head to Ford Stadium to watch SMU take on Temple at 2 p.m. There will be a special halftime ceremony that includes a performance by the Mustang Band, check presentation from the SMU reunion classes, presentation of video winners and the crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen.
This year’s theme, “Boulevard Bound: Many Stories, One Tradition” ties into the University’s Year of the Library, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the founding of SMU’s first library in 1913 and this year’s opening of the George W. Bush Presidential Center on campus.
Each organization participating in Homecoming will represent a great book that became a blockbuster film:
- Chi Omega & Beta Theta Pi: Jurassic Park
- The Union: The Wizard of Oz
- Delta Gamma & Sigma Chi: The Great Gatsby
- Theta Tau & Multicultural Greek Council: Where’s Waldo?
- Pi Beta Phi & Phi Gamma Delta: Casino Royale
- Multicultural Student Organizations: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Kappa Kappa Gamma & Sigma Alpha Epsilon: Alice in Wonderland
- Alpha Chi Omega & Lambda Chi Alpha: Friday Night Lights
- Eta Iota Sigma & Lyle Ambassadors: Star Wars
- Gamma Phi Beta & Beta Upsilon Chi: Superman
- Delta Delta Delta & Kappa Alpha Order: Peter Pan
- Kappa Alpha Theta & Pi Kappa Alpha: Water for Elephants
“It is our hope that Homecoming week will serve to remember and recognize everyone who has contributed to the legacy of SMU at a defining moment in this University’s history,” said Student Foundation Homecoming Chair Taylor Thompson.