Save the date: Make plans now for the 2009 Staff Appreciation Day and President’s Picnic. The annual celebration takes place May 21. Watch the SMU Forum for time, location and more information.
Dinner with Friends: The Friends of the SMU Libraries will hold their Annual Dinner and Meeting at 6 p.m. May 4 at Popolo’s Café. Skip Hollandsworth, executive editor of Texas Monthly magazine, will share light-hearted Texas tales including the story of the Preston Hollow jewel thieves and the legend of Candy Barr. Reservations are required. For more information, contact Amy Carver, 214-768-3225.
Honorary Degree Symposia: SMU honors its 2009 class of honorary degree recipients with the following special events, all scheduled for May 15:
• Panelists Mark Chancey of Dedman College’s Religious Studies Department and Jaime Clark-Soles, Roy Heller and Susanne Scholz of Perkins School of Theology discuss “The Bible in American Public Life,” a symposium honoring Doctor of Divinity recipient honoris causa Harold W. Attridge, dean of Yale Divinity School. The symposium takes place 10 a.m.-noon in Perkins Chapel, preceded by a 9:15 a.m. reception in Bridwell Library.
• Co-founder and artistic director of the Dance Theatre of Harlem and honorary Doctor of Arts recipient Arthur Mitchell will discuss his life and work with Shelley Berg, Dance, and Maria Dixon, Corporate Communications and Public Affairs, in “A Conversation with Arthur Mitchell,” followed by a Q & A with the audience. The event begins at 1 p.m. in O’Donnell Hall, 2130 Owen Arts Center.
• SMU faculty, staff and students are invited to meet acclaimed author and honorary Doctor of Humane Letters recipient Alexander McCall Smith and to take part in “A Conversation with Alexander McCall Smith,” moderated by Dedman School of Law Professor Fred Moss, from 2:30-4 p.m. in the Umphrey Lee Ballroom. The SMU Bookstore will sell McCall Smith’s books on site, and the author will autograph them after the program.
• Read more about the 2009 honorary degree recipients
Commencement Countdown 2009:
May 15-16: Class of 1959 Golden Reunion
May 15: Baccalaureate and Rotunda Recessional
May 16: Faculty Breakfast and Distinguished University Citizen Awards presentation
May 16: All-University Commencement
May 16: School and departmental diploma ceremonies
• Find more information at the Registrar’s Commencement 2009 website
• Read more about former First Lady Laura Bush (’68), the 2009 Commencement speaker